Tuesday, March 19, 2013

PolyCon Aloneness

Have you ever been in a crowded room and felt lonely?  

Last year, Connie and I attended Atlanta Poly Weekend 2012 together.  Our girls were away on a girl scout trip, enabling us to fit in neatly with the other partnered folks in attendance, whether configured as dyads, triads or quads.  This year was different.  Connie remained home to be with our daughters and help our older daughter prepare for her high school prom on Saturday evening.  Thus, I attended APW 2013 alone (for awhile).  

Although the divide between polyamory and swinging can be narrow in practice, the cultural gap is wide in a number of ways.  For instance, I would not consider attending a swinging conference as a single man, unless invited by a couple.  Yes, some couples desire a single guy to join in on their fun; however, too many women view single guys as creepy and too many men feel threaten by them in a swinging context.  Polyamory is much different in that nobody gives a shit about partner-hood (with or without or number of), love-styles, family configurations and so forth.  Thus, I experienced nothing short of open arm welcoming at APW 2013.  

This level of tolerance and welcoming is also extended to folks in other alternative lifestyles, such the LGBTQ and BDSM communities.  You will never find more tolerance anywhere than that which can be found at a poly con.  Nobody gives a shit and this is a good thing.  

I mentioned I was only alone at the con for awhile.  After spending a long day observing an abundance of poly love on Friday, hormones kicked in causing me to suffer from an acute case of hornyitis.  My condition worsened overnight, and by morning, I was in serious need of relief. Fortunately, a friend knocked on my hotel room door early Saturday morning.  Highly skilled in hornyitis therapy, her treatment was a godsend and my condition soon improved dramatically.

Feeling very well, I was able to spend an enjoyable day Saturday participating in the con events with my friend.  Later that evening, I bid her farewell at a marginally reasonable hour.  On Sunday, there was no time to grieve over my state of aloneness.  That was okay.  PolyCon aloneness really is okay.  Nonetheless, a mid-con therapeutic visit never hurts.  (Thank you ma'am; you know who you are.)